Yogurt rice or Curd rice…. as one may say a combination of white rice and curd…. its true but can be variated in several ways, here is my variation of this simple delicacy of South India (prolly north too?? ).
- 2 cups Soft cooked white rice (sona masoori or basmati can be used)
- 1 cup Yogurt or homemade Curd
- 1 cup Milk
- Salt as desired
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 1/2 of small Mango
- 1/4 inch of finely grated Carrot
- a few black grapes
- a few seeds of Pomegranate
- Cilantro for Garnishing
- 2 spicy Green Chillies
- For seasoning I use Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Cashew nuts and Red chillies
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooled down white rice and mash till its soft, the soft the better it absorbs the flavors
- Add salt, green chillies, yogurt and milk and mix well to form a very thin consistency.
- Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil and prepare the seasoning by adding mustard, cumin seeds, cashew nuts, curry leaves and red chillies.
- Add the seasoning to the rice mixture and mix well.
- Garnish by adding the resting of the ingredients – Ginger, Carrot, Grapes, Pomegranate seeds, Cilantro.
- Mix very gently and set aside in the fridge until served.
- Serve with any spicy pickle or tomato chutney.